OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:16:50 -0500
        The wonderfully reliable western tanager still in Columbus since 4 Dec
is the 13th documented record for Ohio. The species had gone unseen for
ten years in Ohio until this spring, when an astonishing three adult
males were observed, in Sandusky, Greene, and Lucas counties, the latter
two with diagnostic photos. Spring western tanagers in the East are very
rare, and our only other one was from May 1996.
        Eastern records this time of year, while still big news, are more
numerous. There are records out as far as Nova Scotia; last winter Maine
hosted a western tanager in January. Ohio has nine records in
fall/winter: setting aside a briefly-seen possible in October 2000, the
most recent was in Nov 1982. The NE Ohio records Peterjohn (2001)
mentions were, I am told, in fact documented.
        Western tanagers should be in Mexico and Central America now. Many of
their wintering areas have been effaced by coffee plantations, but
apparently they are making do. The only place they are known to winter
with any regularity in North America is a small area in southern
California centered around San Diego. Their diet normally consists of
insects, but like many species in winter they are happy with fruits. But
not coffee beans, as far as I know.
Bill Whan
Columbus