OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:49:15 -0500
  Hey all,
 Just got back from the lake, where a few of us were able to refind the King Eider found earlier today. The bird was in a flock of scoters off the lakeshore from mentor lagoons nature preserve. The flock could be seen by taking the trail from the parking lot until the bend to the right, and then walking to the first bench to look out at the lake. The bird appeared to be a immature male. The two flocks of birds offshore had:

 White-winged Scoter- ~20
 Surf Scoter- ~10
 Black Scoter- ~10
 King Eider- 1
 Redhead- 1
 Greater Scaup- 2

 Also, we found a Purple Sandpiper at Lorain Harbor, and heard reports of one at Headlands Beach, as well. East 72nd street power plant yielded only the 4 usual gull species, plus 2 lesser black-backed.
  Good Birding,
 Steve

 Steve Landes
 BS in Parks and Tourism Administration