OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Gene Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 19:55:39 -0500
There have been several comments about field documentation software and
hardware.    Let me mention one of my favorite toys, the  iRiver
digital recorder/player.   It is the size of a double pack of gum,
records and plays back CD quality stereo sound for hours, and easily
uploads or downloads to a computer for sending, storage, or CD
burning.    Sound quality is adjustable through selective frequency
adjustment as well as the digital sampling rate.

A built in microphone is OK for voice recording, but a separate hand
held stereo microphone is suggested for more noise free recording of
bird calls in stereo.    The sensitivity goes beyond your normal level
of hearing, but may seem to have additional background noise because of
the local planes, trains, and automobiles, plus the wind.       For
sending on slow dial up computer connections you may want to hold a
sound snippet to 25 sec. or so for a couple of minutes of on-line download.

You may Google out specs.,  reviews, or talk to iRiver by going
on-line.   Available new from e-bay for less than $100 depending upon
the capacity of the model selected.     I fabricated my own stereo
microphone from easily available sensors, resistors, and some glued
pieces of thin plywood.   Be glad to share the circuit if you can use a
soldering iron.  You may contact me directly concerning any questions or
comments.

                                  Gene Smith    Eastern Delaware County