OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2006

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:37:18 -0500
Forwarding this from Jason Larson; sorry for the delay, but I was off
birding...some useful information for those coming to see it.
Bill Whan
Columbus

Greetings!

The western tanager remained in Grandview Heights, to the delight of
many, as of 11:45 p.m., this afternoon.

I returned to Grandview Heights for a "sunny" look at the tanager this
morning. I arrived at approx. 8:30-8:45 and just missed the bird. It
re-appeared at approx.10:45 and stayed in the immediate vicinity of the
chain link fence for over an hour. The bird did not disappoint and
afforded everyone some simply unbelievable looks, at some times foraging
only 5-6 feet away at the very most. At one point, we went up one of the
driveways to get an unobstructed photo-op from way back and the bird
flew down to the end of that very driveway...at the end of the chain
link fence...right at the curve in Fairview/Merrick. It literally flew
right up to our group (five feet or less) and fed on berries for 10
minutes, just at or below eye-level. It returned to this spot several
times and didn't seem to notice the paparazzi snapping photos of it in
the least! The bird was also very vocal this afternoon, while it was
feeding and foraging.

 From my experiences (Thursday and Saturday), and from information
gleaned from postings, it seems to make a brief appearance around
8:00-8:30 a.m. and then return around 11:00 or so for an extended period
of feeding. During this time it is almost completely oblivious to
birders and disturbances in the area. It seems to always appear in the
honeysuckle on the other side of the chain link fence and forage in that
area for extended periods of time. Be advised to check there first
before going anywhere else, or at least leave a sentry posted at that
location if you choose to search around the area for it.

Again, the specific location of the honeysuckle shrub in question is the
east side of
Fairview behind some chain-link fencing, just north of the curve with
Merrick. Look for the shrub with the old, matted ivy underneath it,
sitting about 10-15 feet back from the fence. The bird almost always
appears here first.

Looks to be nice and sunny...no precp. tomorrow! Don't miss your chance
at this one!

Good luck & Good birding,

Jason Larson

Jason S. Larson