OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:09:13 -0800
I was at Sims Park this afternoon from 2:30 to 3:45pm.
 Temp approx 23F WNW wind 12mph.

Still many scoters over 25
Still hundreds of Common Goldeneye
King Eider - 1 first winter male

At the far east "higher end" of the park I saw a
different looking bird near the Goldeneye that I
figured was a 1st winter KING EIDER.  It was not
anything like the female Goldeneye.  It had a rich
brown colored head that was brown part way down the
neck and then changed to white abruptly.  It had a
long looking neck.  The front of the breast was light
colored but with dirty brown markings (streaks or
something)  Then the sides of the bird (brownish drab
looking) were clearly and abruptly darker against the
lighter breast in front.  The bill looked yellowish
and long but not knoblike on the top like the adults.
It's eye was not real clear through my scope. I didn't
see any obvious white markings on the sides of the
bird like the female Goldeneye but I did see something
white near the end of the bird once.  It was swimming
near the Goldeneye, then it separated and was by
itself and was snoozing then diving, snoozing then
diving.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH