OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:38:17 -0500
There was a great movement of gulls today.  Although I only counted until
10:30, they continued to move until just before sunset.  During the count I
had an Iceland gull, 2 lesser black-backed gulls, 4 glaucous gulls, an over
250 great black-backed gulls.  Occasional watching in the afternoon turned
up several hundred more great black backed gulls, 2 glaucous gulls, 1 lesser
black-backed gull, and a Thayer's gull. I'm guessing well over 1,000 great
black-backed gulls passed by today.  There was also a female harrier that
flew by on the lake heading west.

Location- Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County
Date- January 20, 2007, Time- 7:30-10:30
Weather- Cloudy to partly cloudy, Winds- NW 15-20+
Temperature- 25-26 F, Barometer- 30.24-30.34
Humidity- 69-68, Dew point- 16-17
Waves- 4-6, Flight direction- west

Canada goose   1
Common merganser   36
Red-breasted merganser   87
Northern harrier   1 female
Ring-billed gull   12,310
Herring gull   3, 520
ICELAND GULL   1 1st year
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL   2 adults
GLAUCOUS GULL   4 2 1st/2nd year, 1 3rd year, 1 adult
Great Black-backed gull   266

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081