OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:36:01 -0500
Hi All,

I'll probably get reprimanded for posting this here as opposed to the web-site forum, but I think it's useful for everybody.

There's been a lot of discussion on the listserv about how to cite the location of bird sightings reported to the list.  Some folks have suggested putting the location in the subject, others prefer to get rare birds listed in the subject, while others prefer getting all of that information in the body of the message.

Let me suggest a few resources that were particularly helpful to me when I was a new birder.  These resources can be helpful for cross-referencing the locations of various birding sites mentioned on the list, and can help you find directions to those sites as well as maps and other interesting things to look for.

The first is the OOS birding site guide: http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/about.php

Audubon Important Bird Areas: http://www.audubonohio.org/bsc/sites.html

ODOW Wildlife Area Maps: http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/Hunting/wildlifeareas/wildare.htm

ODNAP Preserves: http://www.ohiodnr.com/dnap/mapofpreserves.htm

Ohio State Forests: http://www.ohiodnr.com/forestry/publications/default.htm

Ohio State Parks: http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/parks/

Cincinnati Birds: http://cincinnatibirds.com/where/index.php

Dayton Audubon Society: http://www.dayton.net/audubon/favsites.htm

One of the most comprehensive resources is a book by Tom Thomson titled "Birding in Ohio" and published by Indiana University Press.  The 2nd edition was printed in 1994.  Some of the maps and directions are slightly out-of-date, but that's to be expected with the amount of road construction that has happened over the course of a decade.  The ISBN is 0253208742.  This can still be found in some bookstores, and on-line.  You can also occasionally find copies in used bookstores.

There are other regional guides, some of which have become available in recent years, like:

"A Birder's Guide to the Cincinnati Tristate" by Robert Folzenlogen

"Birds of the Lake Erie Region" by Carolyn Platt and Gary Meszaros

"Birds of the Toledo Area" by Matt Anderson et al., and published by the Ohio Biological Survey

"Birds of the Cleveland Region" by Larry Rosche

The more you check out some of these resources the more familiar you'll get when you see the locations listed on the listserv.  You may not always know where a specific site is, but you'll get a rough idea of what region of the state it's located in.

I hope these help,

Casey

Columbus, OH