OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:22:16 -0500
I headed up to Sims Park in Euclid (everyone knows where that is now I hope) today to look for the King Eiders. One was present this afternoon. It was quite far away, but offered sufficient, if not ideal viewing. Thanks to Jerry Talkington for helping me find it as I was about to give up and leave.  Other birds present included basically the same species reported by Nancy Anderson yesterday (including all 3 scoters).

The King Eider made Ohio yearbird #99 for me. Birders in Euclid mentioned seeing a Glaucous Gull at E.72nd St. yesterday. That quintessential winter bird would have made a dandy #100. I spent 2 hours combing through the thousands and thousands of gulls at E.72nd and E.55th St. without finding any white-winged gulls. Ring-billed Gulls were still by far the most abundant, but all the Bonaparte's that were there only a couple of weeks ago seem to have departed. A single Lesser Black-backed Gull,  was the "best" gull I could find. Hopefully conditions for finding Glaucous and Iceland Gulls will improve there in the coming weeks (i.e. the lake will freeze - after everyone sees the King Eider, of course). As far as #100 goes, it sounds from Jay Lehman's recent post that a visit to Spring Valley is in order...............

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com