OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Dave Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 00:36:13 -0500
The consensus seems to be that this is a very large Immature Coopers Hawk, most likely a female.  It's lacking the white eyebrow and streaking on the undertail coverts of a Northern Goshawk.

The size really threw me off on this one.  She is so much larger than the other mature Coopers in the neighborhood.  I just assumed she was an immature Red-tailed until I looked at my photos afterward!

Thanks to all those who replied!

Here are some more photos.  Sorry I did not get any different angles of the body, but she pretty much stayed perched with her body in the same position.  Only her head would turn to watch the squirrels in the yard.

The first photo will give you a good idea of the size.  I measured the pole that she was sitting on and tried to relate that to her size in the picture.  I also cropped the photos for a better look.  All the photos were shot from an upstairs bedroom window.

http://www.watware.com/testphoto/CRW_0037__1_480.jpg

http://www.watware.com/testphoto/CRW_0038__1_480.jpg

http://www.watware.com/testphoto/CRW_0061__1_480.jpg

http://www.watware.com/testphoto/CRW_0047__1_480.jpg