OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:19:37 -0500
Since I spent 5 days on Kelleys, I thought I would list all species observed
in addition to the census information which I all ready posted.  Below is
the list of species observed, the highest count, and the date of that count.
In all, 58 species were observed, 1 race, and 1 hybred.  If the high count
was on the census date, I am not listing that date.  Also, on the census
posting I had species listed with an *.  This means that the species was
observed on the island on that date but not on the census route.

It is very interesting to see how individual species numbers change each day
as weather changes.  Waterfowl species and gull species appear to be moving.

1       Pied-billed Grebe  1/20 and 1/22
1       Turkey Vulture  1/19
35      Canada Goose    1/23
119     Gadwall
6       American Wigeon
115     American Black Duck
572     Mallard
3       Mallard X American Black Duck
35      Redhead 1/22
5       Greater Scaup   1/22-23
8       Lesser Scaup    1/21
2       Harlequin Duck
2       Scoter species
1350    Bufflehead      1/19
220     Common Goldeneye        1/22
30      Common Merganser        1/21
1900    Red-breasted Merganser 1/22
5       Ruddy Duck      1/21-22
4       Bald Eagle (2 adults, 1 four-year old, 1 first year)
2       Cooper's Hawk 1/21
1       Red-tailed Hawk 1/21
3       Bonaparte's Gull        1/23
110     Ring-billed Gull        1/19
150     Herring Gull    1/23
3       Great Black-backed Gull 1/22
2       Mourning Dove   1/22
1       Eastern Screech-Owl     1/21
2       Great Horned Owl                1/21
1       Northern Saw-whet Owl   1/20 and 1/22
3       Red-bellied Woodpecker
14      Downy Woodpecker
1       Hairy Woodpecker        1/22
6       Northern Flicker
3       Blue Jay        1/23
38      American Crow   1/19
1       Red-breasted Nuthatch
1       White-breasted Nuthatch 1/23
20      Brown Creeper   1/21
2       Carolina Wren
1       Winter Wren
25      Golden-crowned Kinglet 1/21
2       Ruby-crowned Kinglet    1/21
8       Eastern Bluebird
22      Hermit Thrush
250     American Robin 1/19
1       Northern Mockingbird
23      Yellow-rumped Warbler
51      American Tree Sparrow
6       Song Sparrow
2       Swamp Sparrow
101     White-throated Sparrow 1/20
75      Dark-eyed Junco
2       Oregon Junco  plus numerous intergrades in the Dark-eyed Junco
flocks
3       Snow Bunting    1/23
75      Northern Cardinal 1/20
3       Red-winged Blackbird