OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 06:53:01 EST
Like Jay, I spent New Year's Day birding, and I went to a couple of the same
places, but I didn't get quite the same numbers.  I started at the lake at
East Fork State Park, went on to the Cincinnati Nature Center, then to Camp
Dennison in the early afternoon.  I hit some other spots, like private yards and
places where I had staked out some other interesting birds (some hits/some
misses) and finished in Chilo, at the Crooked Run Nature Preserve.  The first bird
of 2007 was a Song Sparrow (in my yard) and the last of the day was a Northern
Flicker at Crooked Run for a 7 woodpecker day.

Trip List:

1. Song Sparrow
2. European Starling
3. Carolina Chickadee
4. Blue Jay
5. Carolina Wren
6. RED-HEADED WOODPECKER
7. Dark-eyed Junco
8. Bonaparte's Gull
9. Pied-billed Grebe
10. Eastern Bluebird
11. American Crow
12. Northern Cardinal
13. Mourning Dove
14. House Sparrow (only one of the day)
15. Canada Goose
16. PILEATED WOODPECKER
17. Red-bellied Woodpecker
18. Downy Woodpecker
19. Tufted Titmouse
20. White-breasted Nuthatch
21. American Robin
22. White-throated Sparrow
23. Eastern Towhee
24. Yellow-rumped Warbler
25. Golden-crowned Kinglet
26. American Goldfinch
27. Mallard
28. American Black Duck
29. WOOD DUCK
30. YELLOW-BREASTED SAPSUCKER
31. Turkey Vulture
32. American Coot
33. Ring-necked Duck
34. Bufflehead
35. Hooded Merganser
36. AMERICAN WIDGEON
37. Belted Kingfisher
38. BLACK VULTURE
39. Rock Pigeon
40. Red-tailed Hawk
41. Red-shouldered Hawk
42. Cooper's Hawk
43. Great Blue Heron
44. Field Sparrow
45. HAIRY WOODPECKER
46. NORTHERN FLICKER

My 2006 summary:  180 species on the year (the first time I have ever kept a
Year List) with 37 Life Birds added, bringing my total Life List to 257.

 Happy New Year to all!
~Kathi