OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:53:15 -0500
        Got this news to pass along from Bruce Glick. Apple Valley Lake is at
page 59, A-7 in the Delorme Atlas. Any loon at this time of year is
unusual and worth scrutiny. Bruce is a very experienced observer, but
invites all to have another look at this strange one. If you find it,
let us know what you think.
Bill Whan
Columbus

Last Saturday, Leroy E. Yoder had a loon at Apple Valley Lake. He said
it looked a bit strange but it was far out in the lake. I went down on
Tuesday and after about an hour and 20 miles, also found the loon. It
did look "funny". After watching it through the scope for quite awhile,
I decided it must either have a bill that has grown abnormally or
perhaps is missing part of the bill. It seemed to curve up and looked
abnormal. The rest of the plumage seemed to be Common Loon and size is
always so hard to tell. If anything it looked small to me.

I'm not on Ohio birds at the moment but maybe you could alert folks to
this bird and check it out. It did fly around for about 5 minutes and
then landed again so it flies normally. It can be hard to find in that
very large lake with so many small inlets.
Good birding,
Bruce