OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:21:25 -0500
More than fifty Black Vultures are roosting regularly on a power
transmission line tower in Paint Creek Valley west of Chillicothe in Ross
County, south central OH. I have not seen the roost when fully
occupied--always birds leaving or arriving when I go by but I'm sure there
are at least sixty birds when fully occupied, nightly. Interested birders
should be there before 8:30 AM to see some of them, most days. Go west of
Chillicothe on Route 50 a few miles to Slate Mills then another 2.8 miles to
a mailbox address, 16157 Route 50. The tower is across the road from this
address and is the first tower situated at the top of a rise from the valley
bottom to a higher gravel terrace, a place where west winds are diverted
upward by landscape.

This is probably the same flock I reported last year roosting on a
cell-tower at the west boundary of Chillicothe. The current roost is about
four miles from last year's roost site.

Tom Bain

The Glaciated Allegheny Plateau

Chillicothe, Ross County