OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:46:13 -0500
Had a beautiful adult male northern harrier just south of Utica on Route 13
on the way home from work this afternoon.  Later, when visiting my cousin’s
farm just over the county line into Knox County, had a small flock, maybe 10
or so, of horned larks along the roadway and into a harvested corn field.

Also, my first Knox Co. kestrel of 2007, on a wire at the intersection of
Vance Road and Route 13, just north of Utica.

The winter birds are making their presence known here in rural central Ohio
now that winter has finally put in an appearance.

Also a question:  has anyone ever had a brown creeper come to suet feeders?
I could swear I had one today, but lost it before I could get the binoculars
on it.  It flew from the suet feeder to the one and only large tree in my
yard – a sugar maple.  My probable ID is based on how it moved, not field
marks or color, as it was too far from the house to really tell.  It landed
on the trunk of the tree and began “pulling” itself up, very creeper-like.
However, it seemed too small to be one of the downies that come regularly,
and it didn’t seem to have white on it.  It just didn’t seem to have the
right “jiz” to be a downy.  I live in an older (1950’s) residential area,
about ˝ mile from the North Fork of the Licking River.  There are quite a
few large trees in the neighborhood, but not in my small yard.  I won’t
count it as a new yard bird, but ….  Just wondering if anyone could verify
that creepers have come to feeders.

Thanks.

Margaret Bowman

 Newark, OH