OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 00:38:42 -0500
Hi Casey and all,
Wow! I hope you are right, but this conclusion flies in the face of much
research that has been done on American Kestrels in the Midwestern and
northeastern U.S. Many of us who spend lots of time traveling about and in
the field began noticing what seemed to be lower numbers of this beautiful
little falcon some years ago, and while this is less obvious in winter, when
there is an influx of wintering birds to Ohio, it is dramatic in many areas
during the breeding season. Kestrels really seemed to have dropped
dramatically or even disappeared in many areas of the state as breeders, and
Aaron Boone had looked at preliminary Breeding Bird Atlas data that seemed
to bear this out, although it is still too premature to make definitive
statements based on that data.
A quick analysis of Christmas Bird Count data, which anyone can do at:
http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/hr/index.html showed a statistically
significant drop in kestrel numbers in Ohio as a whole over the last decade.
Last year's counts produced a total of 975 kestrels, with a total of 1,437
observers on 56 counts. In contrast, one decade earlier the 1995-96 CBC's,
which also had 56 counts but only 1300 observers, produced 1,399 kestrels!
So, in spite of an equal number of CBC's and 137 more observers, 424 FEWER
kestrels were found last year as compared to ten years prior. This jives
with much of the anecdotal observations that I've heard from active field
reporters in Ohio in recent years.
This decline is supported with data from elsewhere. For instance, the
Breeding Bird Survey routes, which have been run since the 1960's, show a
drop of about 1.4% a year for the northeast region, of which Ohio is on the
western periphery of. Big hawk watches like Cape May and Hawk Mountain have
been documenting statistically significant declines in kestrel numbers in
migration in recent decades, too. An enlightening but somewhat depressing
report issued by Hawk Mountain can be found here
http://www.hawkmountain.org/raptor_conservation/CSR_AMKE.htm and seems to
largely mirror what we are seeing in Ohio.
Obvious problems for these little raptors include changes in overall
agriculture which have led to conditions that aren't so conducive to
providing good raptor habitat, and outright development. Regarding the
latter, a look at the last ten years of the Columbus CBC - an area typical
of rampant development associated with many bigger Ohio cities - shows a
real kestrel decline. Ten years ago, 23 kestrels were found on the Columbus
CBC; in 2005, only 8 were found.
American Kestrels are cavity-nesters, and a lack of suitable nesting sites
is probably hurting them, in addition to other factors. Placing nest boxes
in suitable sites will help, and Dick Tuttle of Delaware, Ohio has done this
in numerous sites and seen good results. The Ohio Ornithological Society has
been working with American Electric Power to explore the possibility of
erecting kestrel boxes in some of the vast reclaimed strip mine grasslands
of SE Ohio, and hopefully that effort will bear some good results
eventually. We are also looking at some other ways in which we might work
with organizations to help kestrels via nest box placement in good habitats.
Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio