OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Johnine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2007 20:59:13 +0000
http://www.kestrelsacrossamerica.org/

Try this link for directions to build, hang and maintain kestrel nest boxes.
--
Johnine

From: Tom Slater <[log in to unmask]>

 From: "Paul Haskins"
 Subject: Re: some thoughts on Kestrel populations

 Several years ago on International Road in front of the Wilds there were
 several Kestrel nesting boxes installed, maybe 5 or 6.

 One winter every single one had a pair in them, except for one that was
 occupied by honey bees.

 Now most if not all of these boxes have rotted away.

 Why didn't you erect a couple of nestboxes? I have erected Kestrel
 nestboxes at The Wilds and it appears I need to do so again. I live only a
 few miles north of The Wilds.

 If you're going to The Wilds why not build a Kestrel nestbox and erect it
 while you are there. Nestboxes are not rocket science. Boxes can be built
 with the *simplest* of hand tools, no power tools of any type or measuring
 angles with a universal bevel protractor that sets to the minute and second.

 But that entrance hole is impossible! No it is not. Use nothing fancier
 than a $10 coping saw to cut a hole, however crude.

 Perhaps $8 worth of poor quality lumber from 'Home Whatever' improvement
 center, a few nails or woodscrews, a coat of paint and the nestbox is done.
 You don't even need a power drill to open holes for woodscrews; just use a
 10d nail tapped into place and then pull the nail before the head is flush
 with the surrounding wood and you've got a pilot hole for woodscrews.

 You're not handy? There are bird lovers everywhere that are comfortable
 with tools and are usually happy to get together for an evening of
 boxbuilding fun. A Kestrel/Screech Owl/Bluebird/Woodpecker nestbox can be
 built from scratch in under two hours. If 4 or 5 friends get together for
 just three hours 8 to 10 nestboxes can be assembled in that time.

 Cordially,
 Tom (the nestbox builder) Slater
 Adamsville Ohio USA