OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:02:57 -0500
   Greetings all. Dan Sanders and I Had a pretty good day yesterday,
Sorry for the late post. We started things off at Fairport Harbor and
then Headlands Beach S.P. where we ran into Jerry Talkington, Ray
Hanikman (sp.? sorry), and Jim (McCarty?). They gave us a nice tip off
on a Common Loon that was out there on the Fairport side feeding. We
also ran into them again at Mentor Lagoons where they were tracking
down a Brown Creeper that we also got to see, Thanks men. These guys
are out birding these areas nearly every day its seems.
     Dan and I made the rather pleasant walk out the breakwall to the
tip. The weather was ideal for it so thats why I say it was pleasant
and fun in a semi-tricky/dangerous sort of way. The wind was coming out
of the south at our backs so the waves were small (although I think it
did have something to do with low numbers of gulls) but that was good.
The little Purple was wayyy out at the end past the lighthouse that is
fenced up and taking shelter behind the large iron sides to the cement
circular pads out there, feeding away in the pool that has formed
there. When we saw it was resting for a moment beside the iron wall and
we froze to watch it from about 20 feet away. Then as we watched it
decided it had had enough of a rest and approached us to feed in the
pool that was infront of us. We held still and watched. He was able to
grab several food items from the pool and in the water we could see
things and minnows swimming around. This pool has undoubtedly been
nourished by the waves. After watching quietly for a bit he then walked
behind the iron curtain again and we felt we could leave without
disturbing it, and it worked well. We also saw the Mink out on the
break wall. Here is a highlights list;
      Fairport:
Common Mergansers - 4-5 whith a beauty of a Drake.
Comm. Goldeneye - 3
D.C. Cormorant - 1
Pied-billed Grebes - 2

  Headlands:
Purple Sandpiper - 1 (and a very nice first shorebird of the year!)
American Black Duck - 1 flyby
American Tree Sparrows

  Mentor Lagoons
Red-breasted Mergs - (seen most every stop as well)
Hairy Woodpecker - male, in the woods which are great for woodpeckers
Downy Woodpecker - male
Brown Creeper - 1
Bald Eagle - 1 adult (or at least mostly in adult plumes, perhaps it
was just feather wear on the tail)

    Eastlake Plant
Red-breasted Mergs.
Peregrine Falcon - 1 in the nest box on the tower

   Sim's Park
White-winged Scoter - 6 or so
Black Scoter - 8+
Surf Scoter - 6 or so (we just estimated rather than count, total
scoters seen was counted to be 25 apprx.)
Common Goldeneye - hundreds of the beauties, big raft out there mixed
w/ some Scaup
Lesser Scaup - 20
Bufflehead - 10
etc.

    E. 72nd and 55th Street parks
Bonaparte's Gulls - 200 or so
Herring Gulls
Ringbilled Gulls
Great Black-backed Gulls - 10+
LESSER-BlACK-BACKED GULL - 1
Peregrine Falcon - 1 zipped all over and scared the bonaparts as it
tried to nab one. it missed as far as we saw it.
     Burke Lakefront Airport
American Kestrel - 2 (male and female)
Horned Lark - 3 (scared up by the frequent small aircraft traffic today)

        Merwin Street, the flats district on the Cuyahoga River in
Cleveland
Black-Crowned Night-herons - counted about 40, with 4 or more immatures
Belted Kingfisher - 1

  Driving on 71 home:
American Kestrel
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
Cooper's Hawk - 1 adult plumaged bird

      Well it was quite a day but I was quite tired afterwards. It was
fun, always glad to get up there.
Good Birding,
    - Ben Warner
      Sunbury OH