OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:53:40 -0800
Today 1/29 made it down to Evans L. and Pine L. in SE Mahoning Co.  Pine L. was completely frozen over, but at the spillway (north end) were gadwalls, Am. black ducks, hooded merganser, pied-billed grebe and e. bluebird.  Evans L. had a good-sized area of open water at the north end and at the adjacent spillway, producing 10 n. shovelers, buffleheads, hooded mergansers, pied-billed grebe, 50 Am. coots, ring-billed & herring gulls.  A flock of 20 Am. robins was in Struthers.  Red-shouldered hawks, Am. kestrel, and white-throated sparrow were seen in Coitsville Twp.  Am. crows are again numerous in my neck of the woods this winter, with hundreds seen almost daily--no obvious impact from WNV here.   Later, Craig Holt, Lowellville