OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 21:03:02 -0500
        Following the directions of Robert Royce, Linda and I headed to Deer
Creek today (Thursday, 1-04) in search of the Pelican and the Shrike.
Thanks to the directions and time frame  provided in the post by
Robert, we had no trouble finding both.  The Shrike was amazing.  We
arrived at the gate to the beach at about 3:30, parked and started
searching. The bird was actually a bit early, arriving about 3:35, but
I have no complaints about that, just thanks to Robert for the kind of
precise information that made this find very easy.  It perched in the
taller locust trees to the right of the gate.
        Along with the White Pelican, there were also Hooded and Red Breasted
Mergansers.

QUESTION:  The water level of the lake was extremely low, exposing
miles of mud and rock.  Do they let it get that low every year, or were
they doing repairs on the damn?  I saw no evidence of that.  A friend
suggested that they might be trying to control or eliminate an invasive
fish species.  If anyone has an idea, please let me (us) know.

joe faulkner
Somerset, ohio