OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Jay Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:13:40 -0500
I saw the LONG-TAILED DUCK (LTDU) last evening at 5:45 pm at Camp
Dennison.  This Long-tailed Duck (aka Oldsquaw) was first reported on
Cincinnatibirds.com on Friday, 01/26/07 at Camp Dennison by Lee Gruber. It
has been reported Saturday, Sunday and Monday at this location by local
Cincinnati birders.  Camp Dennison is now a private park for Indian Hill
residents only.  However, the LTDU is being seen from a pull-off of Rt 126
north of Camp Dennison on the east (right) side of Rt 126 north of Camp
Dennison, which is about half-way between the park entrance on Rt 126
north of Camp Dennison and a business (AIM).  This pull off is a gravel,
frozen mud area.  One can view the ponds from the top of the embankment,
but please stay behind the no trespassing signs.  The bird is being seen
in a flock of American Coots in the middle pond in the vicinity of a blue
bridge.  It can be hard to find as it stays down relatively long at times
while feeding.

Please respect the No Trespassing signs!  The local birding community has
worked hard to convince authorities to maintain this area for wintering
waterfowl.  It is one of, if not the best areas for wintering waterfowl in
SW Ohio.  For additional details about recent sighting of this LTDU, go to
cincinnatibirds.com.

Last night I spent about an hour scanning for this bird.  When I found the
LTDU, it was well south of the blue bridge in the middle pond, almost
directly out from the park entrance road at a black-topped pull off area
just north of Camp Dennison.  The LTDU is number 105 for January, 2007.

Apparently, there are no on-line directions to this area.  For those out
of town, this area can be reached most easily from I-275 south and east of
I-71, when approaching Cincinnati from the north on I-71.  Take Exit 54,
Wards Corner Road off of I-275 and turn right at the end of the off ramp.
Follow this road until a "T" intersection.  Turn left at the "T"
intersection on to Rt 126 (may also be indicated as Glendale-Milford Road
on street signs), and then make a right turn at the next right turn (also
Rt 126) at a small convenience store.  After the right turn, cross the
bridge across the Little Miami River, continue past Fletcher Road on the
left, past the business (AIM ) on the left.  The parking area referred to
above and the park entrance are on the left after AIM.  One can find a map
of this area easily in MapQuest by typing in Camp Dennison, OH.
Jay

Jay G. Lehman
Cincinnati, OH