OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 17:01:12 EST
Hoover Reservoir has iced over at the northern end from Galena south to the
Sunbury Road bridge. In the few open areas near the bridge there were Canada
Geese, Mallards, Hooded Mergansers and a few Ring-billed Gulls.

Further south the water is open except for the small inlets. At  the Redbank
Boat Ramp there were 10 Mute Swans, several Pied-billed Grebes,  a single
white morf Snow Goose mixed in with the Canada Geese, Mallards, Hooded  Mergansers
and a few Ring-necked Ducks.

At the Walnut Street parking area there were more Hooded Mergansers,
Mallards Ring-billed Gulls and a Double-crested Cormorant.

The water was mostly empty from there to the dam except for Canada Geese  and
a few Hooded Mergansers. On the boat pier by the dam there was a lone
Herring Gull.

For the first time in many trips I did not located any Bald Eagles  today.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)