OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Gary Cowell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Cowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:03:51 -0800
Wed.1-31-07

  While checking what open water that is left at Charles Mill Lake at the St.Rte.430 bridge I had a huge all white gull fly in right over  my head about 20 ft. high from the Ashland Co. section of the lake.It then crossed into the Richland Co.section and landed in with a small group of Ring-billed Gulls about 50 yds. away on the north side of the bridge.I zoomed my scope on him right away and had great looks for about 15 minutes before succumbing to the cold out on the bridge.It was a no doubter adult Glaucous Gull,the bird was still there when I left at 5:10pm.

  Others of note:

  Location:  DeLorme 49C7NW
  Richland Co.,Blackfork River,St.Rte.39 bridge
4:15pm

Wood Duck     1-male
American Black Duck     12
Mallard     35
Great Blue Heron     5
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     3
Song Sparrow     3
Northern Cardinal     2
American Goldfinch     1

  Location:  DeLorme 49C7NW
   CHARLES MILL DAM St.Rte.603  Ashland Co.
  4:30pm

  Snow Goose x Canada hybrid     1
Canada Goose     50
Common Goldeneye     1-fem.
Red-tailed Hawk     1

  Location:  DeLorme 49B6SE
  St.Rte.430 bridge Charles Mill Lake,Ashland+Richland line.
4:40pm-5:10pm

Canada Goose     350
American Black Duck     8
Mallard     25
Bufflehead     1-fem.
Hooded Merganser     2-m+f
Great Blue Heron     1
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Ring-billed Gull     120
GLAUCOUS GULL -   1
Belted Kingfisher     1
Hairy Woodpecker     1
American Crow     1
Carolina Wren     1
American Pipit     1-south side of bridge along iceline
Northern Cardinal     1

  Gary Cowell