OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 13:44:51 -0500
Eric-- Sounds like you need a handy list of codes for field notes you
can use for this region, without all the confusing codes for other
areas--such as the tinamous, etc. Frankly, I don't know of one, but
it would be interesting if anyone does.
        If your field notes are for your own use, who cares?--just develop
codes that make intuitive sense to you. For example, GY for greater
yellowlegs, and LY for lesser yellowlegs, are unambiguous, easier to
interpret, and shorter than GRYE and LEYE. For owls, GHO, SEO, LEO, SWO,
ESO are easier to read and understand than their four-letter
equivalents. I use HseF instead of HOFI, Card instead of NOCA, Bald
instead of BAEA, just because they're easier to comprehend at a
glance.                 The only reason to memorize the often unintuitive, sometimes
opaque, and occasionally ambiguous bander's codes is if you have to send
a file of coded names to a banders' organization that requires
abbreviations standardized according to their system.
        Let's face it, names are going to change anyway. If the yellow-bellied
flycatcher is re-named the yellow-throated flycatcher (a far more
descriptive name in my opinion!), the codes will change, and will have
to be revised in all the databases anyway. My take is that if you record
bird sightings regularly you'll develop a good system that works for
you, and you shouldn't be hesitant to use it. If you report your data to
someone else, you can always use the full names; if they insist on
abbreviations, you can choose whether or not to take the trouble to
convert them.
Bill Whan
Columbus