OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 16:35:04 -0500
I headed down to Rocky River Reservation (Fairview Park, Cuyahoga County)
today in search of the Merlin that's been sighted in the vicinity of Big Met
golf course, but was unable to approach most of the areas where the bird has
been seen because of extensive flooding. The river is up incredibly high,
and I spotted many Mallards and Canada Geese swimming in what would normally
be picnic areas and walking/riding trails.

Not much else of note.

Red-tailed Hawk: 2
Downy Woodpacker: 1, male
Herring Gull: 1, subadult

Giant uprooted tree rapidly floating down to Lake Erie: 1

I think most of the avian life in the Valley (as we West Siders call it)
must have moved uphill. The Cleveland Metroparks are going to have a heck of
a time cleaning up after this mess. Mr. Hinkle, Mr. Metcalf, (and any other
Metroparks people on this list), please keep your fellow Clevelanders
abreast of any way they can help fix anything that the waters damage.

-Leslie Basalla
Cleveland