OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 18:07:32 -0500
Thanks to Jim McCormack and all the other OOS folks who put on a great
program despite inclement weather, at least in the morning.

Some others saw the golden eagle at a distance before I left just before 3
p.m.  Some also saw the northern shrike before the program officially began,
but my group whiffed on the shrike and hadn't spotted the eagle as of the
time I left.

Seen by myself at The Wilds:

American coot

Trumpeter swan (not countable)

Canada goose

Gadwall

Green-winged teal

Mallard

American black duck

Northern pintail

Ring-necked duck

Bufflehead

Hooded merganser

Ruddy duck northern harrier

Red-tailed hawk

Rough-legged hawk

American kestrel

Mourning dove

Belted kingfisher

Red-bellied woodpecker

Downy woodpecker

Northern flicker

Horned lark

American crow

European starling

American goldfinch

Eastern meadowlark

Seen over Route 146 near Dillon Dam on the way to The Wilds from Licking
Co.:

Bald eagle

Seen along Natural Resources road #7, beside the Dillon reservoir, on the
return trip:

Great blue heron

Tufted titmouse

Carolina wren

Song sparrow

Eastern phoebe (pair)**

I checked Peterjohn.  Apparently, it is not unheard of for eastern phoebes
to remain in Ohio through Jan. 15 in mild winters - and this one certainly
qualifies - but I know that I have never seen one here after December and
before March, so the eastern phoebe was a real treat for me.

I compared my January list to date with last year, and I'm ahead of last
year by 8 species.  (A trip to the Melvin Quarry yielded about the same
waterfowl as I saw today at The Wilds.)

Fun day.  Special thanks to Jason Larson and Julie Zickefoose for leading
the group I was with.  And thanks again to all who worked to put this trip
together.  Great job and a very enjoyable day.

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH