OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 01:38:00 -0500
   Hit the Deer Creek area today with Aaron Boone and John Kuenzli, we
also did a nearby winter atlas block. In the block we had some decent
stuff several Harriers and a Swamp Sparrow, plus some other usual
birds. It was quite the adventure tho and a memorable one at that.
Anyways when we were done we stopped back at Deer Creek in the "Shrike
Zone" and there it was at the top of a Honey Locust on the right hand
side of the road that goes to the right of the gate as you pull in.
Then he flew over the road towards the parking lot for the beach area
and landed in a tree when I got the Scope on him for fun. Then he took
off. Aaron and John had to leave so I was left to my own devices. I
walked to the beach area and looked accross the water and saw a couple
Black Vultures. Then at the North end I had the White Pelican. After
all this I drove over and caught some of the fun action at the Wilds.
Had a great view of a Short-ear when I was in my car stopped on the
road, the neat female dropped down on a no-tresspassing sign and looked
about, I got some bad pictures before a truck spooked it, but it was
some of the closest looks I've had at one. pretty fun. List:

    Deer Creek:

American Pelican
Northern Shrike
Northern Harrier
Northern Pintail - 3
Pied-billed Grebe
Mallards
Bonaparte's Gulls
Herring Gulls
Ring-billed Gulls
Black Vultures
Red-Tailed Hawks
American Kestrels

  On rt. 22 towards Circleville:

Turkey Vultures - 5

  Total American Kestrels Seen along the roads today : 15

  Nice birding.
     - Ben Warner
       Sunbury, OH