OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:45:00 EST
What a weird winter this is!  A GREEN HERON has been staying at the wetlands
area of Chilo Lock #34 Park and the Crooked Run Nature Preserve in SE Clermont
Co, Chilo, along the Ohio River.  Surely this is some kind of record?
Peterjohn says one stayed in Cleveland until Jan. 1, 1942.

Also on my "Best Birds of the Day" list was the adult, white phase SNOW GOOSE
also on the wetlands, hanging with a flock of Canada Geese.  At the Clermont
County Parks Winter Bird Count yesterday, they reported a flock of 38 flying
over this site, and there were 3 other reports of Snow Geese flocks on the move
in Clermont Co. and the Cincinnati area.

Finally, another new bird for 2007 (bringing my Year List up to 54) was the
HERMIT THRUSH along the estuary.  I had stopped to try to locate a noisy
Carolina Wren when I saw something larger move in the branches over my head.  This
is the third Hermit Thrush I have found at Crooked Run, but the first one that
was higher than my head.  They usually seem to be at eye level or lower.

I finished birding and headed home in time to beat the rain.

Trip List: Snow Goose 1, Canada Goose, Great Blue Heron 1, Green Heron 1,
Ring-billed Gull, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, American
Crow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch, Carolina
Wren, Eastern Bluebird 2 (m/f), Hermit Thrush 1, Northern Mockingbird,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Eastern Towhee (heard), Field Sparrow, Song Sparrow,
White-throated Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinch

On the roads, I added 3 American Kestrels, countless robins and Mourning
Doves and 1 Turkey Vulture.

At home, a second m:f pair of Bluebirds and a large flock of juncos, for a
total 28 species on the morning.

Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.
Delorme pg 82, B3