OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:11:42 EST
Since the comments on dwindling numbers of American Kestrels, I have been
paying closer attention to these guys on my daily commute as well as any time I
am BWD (Birding While Driving.)  I drive about 25 miles to work.  The first
half is on rural roads and state highways through agricultural land, blending
into the southern boundary of the East Fork State Park, in Clermont County.  The
second half becomes more residential and commericial, escalating till I reach
the Eastgate Mall at SR 32 and I-275.

I have seen at least 3 kestrels, possibly more, as regular residents, but
only along the first 1/2 of my journey.  There is one (or possibly a pair) that I
see almost daily on the country road by my house, and another along SR 125
that forms the southern border of the state park.  I can always count on these
guys.

I can't quite sort out how many kestrels live on SR 133, the N-S road that
connects me to SR 125.  One regularly sits on the wires at 23xx (last digits
withheld), but I have seen a kestrel (same bird or different one?) at 2 other
sites on this road, once at 19xx (2 miles south of the "regular" spot) and once
at 15xx, which is 5 miles south of the "regular" site.  I think this must be a
different bird, but I'm not sure.

What is the approximate range or territory size that an American Kestrel will
occupy?  How can I tell if these two separate sightings were of the resident
kestrel from 23xx or were one (or two) other birds?

I saw 3 American Kestrels today, two of which are new.  The first was in
Brown County, at SR 505 and Oak Grove Rd, the second at SR 133/222, just south of
Felicity.  The third is my old friend, on my rural county lane.

Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.
Delorme pg 82, B3
Lat. 38.828, Lon. -84.063