OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 15:59:59 -0500
Today at Pickerington Ponds, I found the following birds in addition to the
expected common species:

            American Black Duck     xx

Northern Shoveler           xx

            Gadwall                         xx

            Green-winged Teal         1

            Mute Swan                    8

All these were seen from the Wood Duck Observation Blind. All but the swans
were in Blue Wing Pond, looking south from the blind. The swans were in
Mallard Marsh, north of the blind. They apparently arrived while I was
looking at the other birds, because when I arrived there were no waterfowl
in Mallard Marsh. As I left I saw the swans.

At Blacklick Woods Metro Park there was a Barred Owl directly above the
short path to Ashton Pond, about 30 feet up in a coniferous tree.  For those
who are not aware this is a fairly regular location for the Barred Owl in
winter.

Both Pickerington Ponds and Blacklick Woods MP are located in DeLorme 68A3,
east of Columbus on the Franklin/Fairfield County Line.

Gene Stauffer

Grove City