OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 1 Jan 2007 00:36:46 -0500557_US-ASCII Robert and others,
For my moderate year, I netted (figuratively) 349 species, and 15 were
life birds, bringing my life total to 628. Moderate is, of course, a
relative term. Was it just two years ago that Dan Sanders got over
700?

I began 2007 the same way I begin most years, by looking out the door
just after midnight and noting the roosting Carolina Wren in the
Phoebe nest. This has worked for about the last ten years or so. Nice
to be able to count on such a nice bird. It will sing to me in the
morning, [...]44_1Jan200700:36:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:28:32 -0500
Things have not changed much along the Scioto River south of downtown Columbus so far this winter.  A quick run through these areas this morning found the bird fauna virtually unchanged from mid-December, both from my own scouting trips and the efforts of CBC teams in the area.  Despite cold, overcast weather and high river levels, both spots (as well as the Haul Rd. quarries) produced a fairly constant set of birds, including
Pied-billed Grebes - a few along the river and in the quarries
Double-cr. Cormorant - 1 in river off Berliner Park
Geese - the new ponds in Whiiter, still just scraped bare earth, appear to have already attracted a small flock of Canada Geese
Dabbling Ducks - a few Mallards & Black Ducks scattered along the river (I didn't check the lagoon in the Jackson Pike Wastewater plant, which has had teal, shovelers, & gadwall)
Diving Ducks - a flock of 8 Redhead continues to hang out at the Haul Rd quarries
Mergansers - a few Hoodeds at Whitter, and a flock of 10-12 still at the Haul Rd quarries
Gulls - small flocks of Ring-bills at several places; 3 Herrings were with 50 Ring-bills at the Haul Rd quarries
Woodpeckers - a scattering of Downies and Red-bellies was augmented by 2 Hairies in the riparian forest of Berliner
Creepers & kinglets - 6-7 brown creepers in 1 hour at Berliner was typical for this time of winter, as was 2 Golden-cr.Kinglets
Wrens - no Winters, but 4+ Carolinas along the bikepath at Whittier + Berliner.  They've had awesome #s this winter, so far.
Robins - a flock of 30 at Whittier included a striking partial albino with white upper breast.  Keep an eye out for it if you bird here.
Sparrows - large flocks of White-throated continue to haunt the bikepath at Whittier, but I couldn't find anything with them.

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.