OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:39:13 EST
Arthur Shantz joined me today at the preserve as I worked on several of my
winter projects, the Ohio Winter Bird Atlas and the ODNR Eagle Census. Today we
 located 4 adult and 1 immature Bald Eagle within the preserve. Their
locations  included Baldridge Island off Sunbury Road and the Oxbow Island area.

Waterfowl was slow at first with only Canada Geese, Mallards, Hooded
Mergansers, a couple of Horned Grebes and a Pied-billed Grebe. Late in the  afternoon
we were at the end of Oxbow Road, the light was beginning to fail and  we
weren't able to ascertain colors very well and we were about to leave when in
came flocks of waterfowl. My best estimate was between 600 and 1,000 ducks
flying into the northern regions of Hoover Reservoir. Among the species I could
identify from wing patterns were lots of Hooded Mergansers, American Black
Ducks, Red-breasted Mergansers, Redheads, and Mallards. There appeared to be
other species in the incoming flocks but we weren't able to make a clear
identification in the failing light. I hope to get back there Thursday to  identify
what arrived today.

We made a stop at Hoover Meadows where we located a Barred Owl in the pine
grove, then headed to the back area. In and around the fields we located Swamp
Sparrows, American Tree Sparrows, White-throated Sparrows, Song Sparrows  and
Eastern Bluebirds. A nice surprise was a Rough-legged Hawk that soared right
by us.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)