OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2007

From:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:35:38 -0500
I thought I'd check out the Spencer Road farm pond off S.R. 180 (DeLorme 78:
A-3) today after reports of the 2 Ross' Geese and 4 blue-phase Snow Geese.
Upon arriving (11:15) I found these birds as I'd hoped.  As I set about
examining them, 5 more white geese arrived, landing near the Ross', which
ambled over to join them.  All were of the same size, coloration, head- and
bill-shape except one.  It was larger (though slightly smaller than the
Blues), with gray head, neck, and some wing feathers (in addition to the
black primaries, etc.), and a longer head and bill: immature white-phase
Snow Goose.  This bird was soon chased away by one or two of the more
aggressive Ross'.  A half-hearted attempt to join the Blues was
unsuccessful, and it was left all alone (I kind of felt sorry for it).  As
for the Ross' Geese, all had similar heads but showed some variation in the
amount of black at the meeting point of upper and lower mandibles, though
none like the "grin" typical of Snows. They were preening, so I don't think
any of this was due to any dark substance being on their bills.  Many
Canadas, of varying size, were also present, none with any other apparent
field marks of a Cackling.  So the final score from Ross County:

ROSS' GOOSE - 6

SNOW GOOSE (blue phase) - 4

SNOW GOOSE (white phase immature) - 1

Canada Goose - 100ish (I didn't count)

Great Blue Heron - 1

Also present on nearby County Line Road:

Red-tailed Hawk - 7

Am. Kestrel - 3

Northern Harrier - 2

Cooper's Hawk - 1