ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cindy Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:03:28 -0500
Good Evening,

The Cardinal Cin's set out Sat. morning for Camp Dennison Gravel Pits and
located the Eurasian Wigeon in the first pond.  We got the Long-tailed
Duck the week before, but saw her again on the larger pond on the waters
edge.  From there we drove over to Isabella Park to check out the Great
Horned Owl that is occupying the roost box where we found it with one eye
peering at us outside of the box and 2 fluffy tufts on its head.  Trying
to stay one step ahead of Team Cuckoo, we went in search for the Common
Redpoll in Farmersville with no luck.  Then on to Cope Environmental
Center, Centerville, IN, where we found the Red-breasted Nuthatch and a
Red-shouldered Hawk.  We were not able to locate the Long-eared Owl.
Ended the day at Brookville Lake, Fairfield Causeway, where we saw 3 Bald
Eagles harrassing one another in the air.  One mature and 2 immatures were
identified. Ended the day by listening for a Screech Owl that had been
actively vocalizing in Debbie's woods all week, but was not cooperating
this partiular evening.

Sunday morning we found ourselves making an unscheduled trip to
Roxanne-Burlington Rd. gravel pits at Spring Valley and with the help of
team Aves Confuseus, located the Greater White Fronted Goose, Mute Swan,
immature Herring Gull and the White-winged Scoter.  Too cold to hold out
for the Cacking Goose that was reported earlier.  Went over to the bird
blind at Spring Valley and easily found a Fox Sparrow eating on the ground
below a bird feeder.  On our way into Waynesville, a Cooper's Hawk was
gliding over a field in search of field mice.

Both days were cold and windy.

Cindy