ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:42:02 -0500
Jill, Jimmy and I decided to dash out this morning to fill in a few gaps in
our list that seemed to swell this past weekend!!! There is very little
open water remaining.  At the gravel pits near Spring Valley, no
White-fronts, but everything else was packed into two very small ice free
areas, the largest of which was probably only 10 feet by 20 feet.  All the
geese [nearly 100-could only find one Cackling with its head up--several
other very small geese sleeping nearby] were on the ice (except 1 bathing
in the -2 degree temperature, plus wind chill!) . In the smaller pool, all
the Gadwall, coots, and Scoter were packed into a very small patch that I
don't know if the coots can get out of-unless they can take off by running
across the new, very smooth looking ice. The two Mute Swans had their heads
under their wings on the ice [I thought they were supposed to keep the ice
broken up--they obviously gave up and went to sleep).  At Spring Valley we
got the Fox Sparrow at the feeders and Jill and Jimmy added a
Red-shouldered Hawk..  A stop at the Visitors Center turned up a beautiful
male Purple Finch, Eastern Towhee, and Hairy Woodpecker--all new for us. At
the sunflower seed feeder was a N. Flicker, I don't ever remember seeing a
flicker eating seeds.  Caesars Creek Lake is almost entirely iced in--at
the beach 6 Mute Swans were sleeping on the ice and a small flock of
Canvasbacks were sleeping on the ice next to what appeared to be a recently
frozen patch of water--8 Buffleheads were in a bath tub-sized area of open
water out in the middle of the lake. Quick dash by the owl can at Lake
Isabella showed the GH Owl and as a few flakes began to fall we stopped by
Camp Dennison on the way home.  There is very little open water remaining,
packing all the coots (and a couple PB Grebes) into a small pool on the
southwest side and concentrating most of the other ducks in a larger but
apparently quickly shrinking area also at the south end of the pits. Lots
of species, Ruddy's were new for us and no sign of the Long-tailed Duck or
Eurasian Wigeon (actually all the wigeon were gone). In a tiny pool of open
water below AIM building were a number of Redheads and coots, all the
shovelers were sleeping on the ice. Only 8 Canada's were present.  Looking
out the window at all the snow now, I'm glad we got back when we did!!!
Cheers
Dave
PS I quick count of the board shows all the teams combined have recorded 97
species so far!!!