ZOO408A Archives

February 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:01:12 -0500
I have compiled, to the best of my abilities, the current standings in the
2007 Skyline Chili Challenge. I counted the board at 4:00 this afternoon
[Fri Feb 2] and attached is the current totals. Cardinal Cins are currently
in the lead with 72, followed closely by Team Cuckoo (70) and Aves
Confuseus (68).  January was a good month--and we're off to a great
start!!!! Maybe this Eurasian Wigeon, the 266 species found in the history
of the Chili Challenge, is sign of even better things to
come!!!  Interestingly, this year's winter finches, such as crossbills,
siskins, purple finches, etc are far and few between [largely nonexistant]
. Swans are similarly hard to come by. We have had such notable species as
Ross's Goose, Long-eared Owl, Northern Shrike, not to mention the Cackling
Goose and Eurasian Wigeon currently at Camp Dennison, already this
year--much better than the start of 2006 Challenge.
On another quick note: Jimmy K. and I took a quick trip to look for the
Redpoll over by Camden. No luck, but in the fields mentioned in the initial
report the farmers have spread manure and huge numbers [in the hundreds] of
Horned Larks, sprinkled with Lapland Longspurs, are feeding on the
waste---if we get more snow these birds might be more easily seen and might
be a great place to keep an eye on.
Check out the standings--keep up the good work--and be happy with the
knowledge that even though Casey is not playing this year he is still not
in the lead!!!!
Cheers
Dave