OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
J Perchalski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J Perchalski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:41:47 -0500
It looked like everyone was at the Owl Symposium except the owls. The
weather was bad and got worse, but the lecture program and the
camaraderie made it well worth the trip. And the snowy woods were
beautiful. Thank you to all the folks who worked so hard to make the
weekend a success.

For those people who were wondering about the lack of kestrels a few
weeks ago -- they apparently have been hanging out on power lines
between Van Wert County and Hueston Woods. We saw (in just over 90
miles) 18 kestrels on wires on the way south and 10 on the way back,
including what seemed to be a pair sitting within a foot of each
other and looking very cosy.

At the southwest corner of Grand Lake (Mercer Wildlife area) there
were large numbers of Canada Geese including some pairs staking out
nest boxes, a handful of Mallards, 1 nice male Hooded Merganser, 2
Ring-necked Ducks and 2 Mute Swans. No snow geese.

Jean & John Perchalski
Van Wert, OH