OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Hans Clebsch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hans Clebsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:48:32 -0500
Hello,

I was out at E. 72nd. St. today (1:30 p.m.). It was bright and sunny.
I saw what was not quite a Herring Gull and not quite a Great Black-
backed. It was larger than the surrounding Herring Gulls and smaller
than the GBBG.
The saddle + coverts was a clear shade darker than Herring color and
significantly lighter than the GBBG or Lesser BBG. Please be sure to
see photos of P10 (xGullP10.jpg). I originally was thinking Herring x
GBBG  but Olsen and Larsson 2004 says, "Crown, nape and sides of head
with heavy, dark brown streaks similar to Herring (more streaked than
adult winter GBBG). P10 does show a black streak like some Herring or
Lesser BB. Hopefully one can get some idea of scale with surrounding
gulls (0001). The photos are only cropped with no sharpening.

The ducks were a pleasure to see. If you are around you show get a
look while they are still there in numbers.

I am also posting some photos I took of Lesser-blacked back Gull and
2nd cycle Glaucous Gull Feb. 9 at E. 72nd..
Also saw a Peregrine Falcon kill what appeared to be a Bonaparte's or
maybe Ring-billed Gull from Feb. 9 same location.
There were four very cold looking Double-crested Cormorants huddled
by the rocks around the hot water outlet.
.
Find them here and let me know what you think:

Quick link:
http://www.clebschstrap.com/gulls/xGull0003.jpg

For all above Gull photos:
http://www.clebschstrap.com/gulls/

Sorry about no HTML. Will one day build a web site for the content!

Good birding to all.

Hans Clebsch