OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:56:56 EST
I have been observing what I think are some very unusual feeding  strategies
for Dark-eyed Juncos.  Even though I have plenty of  millet, safflower &
sun-flower seeds available, on ground feeders,  & in platform & hanging feeders,
the juncos are also eating mealworms  & from the nyjer feeder.  Eating the
nyjer seed only surprised me  because I didn't think they were able to get the
seed from the tiny holes.   But at least it is seed.  The mealworms on the other
hand were a real  surprise.  I had spilled some on the ground while putting
them out for the  Carolina Wren in a dish set in a platform feeder.  A junco
made quick work  of the few I spilled, so now I have put the dish on the ground
in a sheltered  spot.  The wren is still happy & so apparantly are the juncos
as I am  now going through the worms about 3 times as fast.  Starlings may have
had  a few but luckily they only seem to come in about once or twice a day.
It  is truly fascinating how heavy snow cover seems to change bird's
behaviors.

Laura Dornan
Louisville, Stark County