OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:44:40 -0500
I was at the lake from about 4:30 to 5:30 this afternoon. The
Long-tailed Duck was still there but no one that was there while I was
there was able to find the Eurasian Wigeon. The Bald Eagle (adult) that
has been seen around swooped down and grabbed a coot, flew to the ice
edge and quickly devoured it. I was able to show this to a few
non-birders who appreciated the view. It was the first eagle for two of
them.

Did have several passersby stop and ask me what everyone was looking at.
One gentlemen would not believe that we were there looking at ducks. He
kept insisting that we were there to look at the eagle because no one is
interested in ducks. Fortunately, I was able to show him the Long-tailed
Duck but I still don't think he believed me.

He mentioned that he had seen the Snowy Owl in Wilmington a few years
ago and he thought that was one of the most interesting natural things
he had ever seen.

Good Birding

John Habig
261 Lantis Dr.