OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:30:30 -0500
Athens County, Trimble Township, Glouster Ohio 45732-- Highland Ave. (easy
to know since its my humble abode).

Was so happy to see the snow this weekend to liven up the feeders. Saturday
was absolutely booming with activity  (I ended up with twenty species that
day).  Along with the normal contingent of winter feeder birds my most
interesting bird(s) had to have been the female red-winged blackbird.  She
was around on Saturday and Sunday.  I also had a brown creeper (the first
time ever at my feeders) and a fox sparrow both on Saturday.  My most
interesting observation was that the number of tree sparrows, overall,
were double what I normally get and several robins stuck around.  They
mainly fed on berries (that are dark purple) growing on an identified (I'm
ashamed to admit) tree growing on the south side of the house.  One of
these days I will figure out what that tree is.  Has to be an ornamental of
some sort planted by the folks before me.  It's the first time I've ever
noticed the birds (mainly robins and cardinals) actually eating the
berries.

I got lower numbers of birds on Monday which I believe was due to the
resident gray squirrel bringing a buddy to the feast.

Lynda Andrews
Wildlife Biologist
Wayne National Forest
740/753-0550 voice
740/753-0118 fax

"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses
to destroy"  ...  John Sawhill