OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:44:18 -0500
Along with thousands of gulls and a good many ducks, The E. 72nd marina was
also teeming with birders this afternoon.

I had all the same species Suzanne Wagner reported, except for the Glaucous
Gull -- he must have been there before I showed up. I was able to spot the
Iceland Gull with some help from a couple of the more experienced birders on
hand, so, my thanks to those guys for a lifer!

Ducks appearing included:
Canvasback
Redhead
Greater and Lesser Scaup
Ring-Necked Duck
Common Goldeneye
Bufflehead
Red-Breasted Merganser

Also present were four Mute Swans, hanging out on the ice at the far eastern
end of the open water.

And, as Suzanne reported, there were indeed two coyotes, presumably
residents of nearby Dike 14, out on the ice. Another birder on the scene
(Henry, I think was his name) said he spotted one of the pair there the
other day, hunting gulls out near the breakwall. Pretty gutsy canines! The
Coast Guard icebreaker did a nice job of scaring them up, adding another
highlight to a lovely afternoon of frigid birding.

Cheers,
Leslie Basalla
Cleveland