OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Bob Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:51:41 -0500
Took a day off work and visited the very gracious Miller family today.
Watched the feeder and were treated to white-crowns, tree sparrows,
goldfinches, assorted woodpeckers and jays, and a great view of a
mockingbird hanging precariously on the side of a suet log feasting on
peanut butter and cornmeal !  (yes, Kim has photos!) After nearly 3 hours at
the feeder, Miss Miller grabbed her spotting scope and bins and lead us over
to the creek and woods to see if the Harris's sparrow was there - sure
enough, we weren't there 2 minutes and the Harris's popped out of a patch of
dense rose bushes. We had great views of him for nearly a half-hour as he
mixed with a large flock of white-crowned sparrows, and even watched him
sing a few times. On one of our moves for a better view, a Wilson's snipe
hopped out for a quick view before flushing. Miss Miller said the snipe had
been there for several weeks.

Bob Hinkle
Solon, OH  44139