OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:42:58 -0500
     Well I awoke today at 5 a.m. with many conflicting and various
options. I could drive down and join in on the Owl Symposium, I could
go up to Lake Erie and hopefully score some life-bird gulls. I could do
nothing. I didn't want to do nothing, I wanted to see lifebirds but
didn't want to drive up by myself (I'd missed getting ahold of the
avids in time). I knew I'd have a fun/interesting time at the Owl event
but didn't feel like driving a long distance to someplace I was unsure
of how to get there etc. So I decided to lump it all and go to Killdeer
Plains for the hope of some fun birds and new "year-birds".
  I started out from my house and heard a new for the year Yard bird
here in Delaware Co. where I live, it was a male RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD
declairing his territory over our field already (got him in the bino's
to make sure). Then a TURKEY VULTURE arose and started attempting to
soar around, another first of the year for my yard, or anywhere north
of circleville for me. Last night around 11:00 I heard the melodious
Hoots of a GREAT HORNED OWL. I took this all as a good omen and
proceeded on my way. I wasn't dissappointed. On the way to and from
Killdeer Plains, while I was driving, I saw a huge amount of HORNED
LARKS but never in a very large flock together. They are fun, I love
their little masks, and they make me smile every time. I also saw many
RED-TAILED HAWKS, many of which are pairing up and soaring
together/perching etc. Also on my travels and especially near Killdeer
and back around Delaware co. W.A. there were many Kestrels. No real
waterfowl but CaGo's looking hopeful by all the frozen solid ponds. I
did see Black Ducks on my land the other day though, 6 came in to land
on the creek.
      Todays list:
Roadsides:
Horned Larks
Am. Kestrels - 4
N. Harriers
Red-tailed Hawks
 + other usuals.
          Killdeer Plains:
Horned Larks - Lots 'n lots.
Song Sparrows
AM. Tree Sparrows
E. Meadowlarks - new year bird, and there were about 50 of them hanging
out together with some flickers.
N. Flicker - 10+ I don't remember ever seeing so many in so short a
time.
Red-headed Woodpecker - stopped on road and wondered if I could see it
from there, and sure enough. pond w/ dead trees.
Downy Woodpecker- several
Red-bellied Woodpeckers
Am. Kestrels - 6 about even ratio males to females
Rough-legged Hawk - 3 including a real neat dark phased one.
N. Harrier - 7
Red-tailed Hawks- 8 or so
Cooper's Hawk - 1 jumbo adult (maybe female) made me thing it was
something else at the very first glimpse.
Owls - Yes, I feel kinda guilty about it but I went to the owl grove
and found LEOWs. I feel guilty because of all the other footprints in
the snow there, and while I was there the poor owls were obviously
nervous (most of them, some stayed put) and hopped over to the next
trees over. I had inadvertently gotten too close to their tree. The
second group I stopped immediately when I saw them and walked away as
slowly and quietly as possible (the whole time I was moving as slowly
and quietly as possible). This seemed to work better, since these did
not flush. This seems to be the best tactic if you can accomplish it,
don't get right under their tree if you can, give it space. I don't
think I disturbed them too much, They didn't move very far away, but I
feel bad doing it at all, since this place sees so much human traffic.
And I was alone and trying to be quiet and move very slowly. Please
avoid overcrowding this locale, don't take larger groups there, and
maybe we shouldn't go at all if we don't need to. I don't know. Try to
respect them. I know I for one will seek other, new places to find
these amazing and beautiful birds, with less human traffic.

  So anyways I had a good day of it, and it was a pretty nice day
dispite the cold. My misses included any Longspurs and or Snow Buntings
I had hoped to come accross. If there are any questions please feel
free to ask me by e-mail,   off - list.

 Good Birding.
     - Ben Warner
       Sunbury, OH, Delaware Co.