OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Pam Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:14:58 -0800
Since I'm in the process of moving from the inner city
to the virtual suburbs of north Columbus, I'm looking
for a new neighborhood birding home.  Today I spent
about the same amount of time (about an hour and a
half) struggling around an ice- and snow-packed trail
loop at Sharon Woods as I did sitting in my cozy car
observing the feeders at Thurber Pond in Greenlawn.
Hmmm . . . .  In Sharon Woods I saw 9 species, the
most exciting being the redtail that soared over and
landed as I went out the gate.  But at least there
were titmice, which Greenlawn unaccountably (by me)
hasn't had in years.  At the cemetery I saw 16
species, the most exciting being the merlin that
buzzed the feeders so fast that most of the little
birds didn't even have a chance to scatter.  Also my
first hairy woodpeckers of the year --a pair.  Plus I
had a pleasant chat with another of the regular
birders there.  If anyone is familiar with birding at
Sharon Woods, please email me directly--I need
guidance!  Maybe even a native guide!  Thanks and good
birding.  Pam Unger

Eternity is not something that begins after you are dead.  It is going on all the time.  We are in it now.  --Charlotte Perkins Gilman