OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Barbara Natterer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Natterer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 20:43:36 -0500
Seen tonight at 5:30 PM in a mix of conifers and hardwoods near the road on Chippewa Rd. at the Chatham/Lafayette line at the S-curve: one Short-eared Owl  perched about 25 feet from the ground. The snow pack is still 6 to 8 inches deep with a crust on top.  The owl could easily see both open fields and pine trees at the tree farm from his perch.  It flew along the edge of the trees when it saw me, but soon flew deeper into the woods away  from the open area and me.

This should be good habitat for Short-eareds as this area has several hundred acres of open farm fields. In the warmer months I often see Rough-legged Hawks over these fields along with Bobolinks and Meadowlarks. This is the first sighting of a Short-eared Owl here, at least for me.

This spot is located in DeLorme: Page 40  section D-3.

Barbara Natterer, Chippewa Rd.,  Chatham Twp., Medina, Co.