OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 03:29:46 -0800
I checked Pickerington Ponds Sunday afternoon. The
Teal Pond is still frozen over, so I didn't hike in
the rain to Pintail Marsh. Ellis Pond has some open
water. It was holding

Canada goose
American black duck
Mallard
GREEN-WINGED TEAL - one pair
Ring-necked duck

The heronry remains unoccupied.

At the Charlie's Pond area (Radcliffe and River Roads,
Pickaway Co.) the slough and wet fields northwest of
Charlie's Pond had abundant waterfowl.

Canada goose ~500 flew over or landed near dusk
Mallard ~500
Northern pintail ~4
Canvasback ~8
Ring-necked duck ~50

I waited at the CRP prairie west of Radcliffe Road
until a drizzley nightfall in the vain hope of seeing
short-eared owls. Northern harriers put on a show
though. Usually five to eight were in view, then right
at dusk a horde of them congregated at one small
portion of the field. I counted 26 swirling around.

Ring-necked pheasant - two cocks sparring and ~ 6 hens
Northern harrier - 26

Directions to Pickerington Ponds and Charlie's Pond
can be found at the OOS website.

Cheers,

Paul Gardner
Columbus, OH