OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:13:03 EST
I will be leading a "Mystery Field Trip" about the middle of March and have
been considering different possibilities of places to go.  The trip is for
the Canton Audubon in northeast Ohio and we will be willing to travel 1 or 2
hours, possibly 3.  Places I have considered are E. 72nd St. in  Cleveland (but
I have VERY LITTLE skills in identifying gulls so I am hesitant  in taking a
group to a place where I can't identify the birds we are there to  see.);
Mosquito Lake area, mostly for raptors as the lake will probably still be  frozen;
The Wilds (a long drive, would we see much more than we can see at
Mosquito?); Castalla Pond (that is a pretty long drive so it would really need  to be
worth it); Holmes County for the Harris' Sparrow (don't know if I want to  make
the whole trip about 1 bird).  Does anyone have any thoughts on any of  these
places as to what would be the most rewarding or know of any other  possible
destinations to consider?  Is there anyplace with open water  (besides
Castalla) that has a good variety of waterfowl?  I haven't been  hearing much about
the power plants on the east & west sides of  Cleveland.  Are they productive
this year?  I probably will not make a  final decision until just a day or so
before the trip so that I can take  advantage of recent sightings posted on the
list-serve, but I would like to have  1 or 2 back-up plans.

Thanks.

Laura Dornan
Louisville, Stark County
http://www.aol.com.