OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
"Robert S. Morton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert S. Morton
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:20:43 -0500
I left Fremont after noting the following visitors to my backyard feeders:
Carolina Wren- 2
Song sparrow- 1
Blue Jay- 1
WB nuthatch-2
Downey woodpecker-2
Red-bellied woodpecker-1
House finch-4
DE Junco-7
Carolina Wren-2
Cardinal-5
Common grackle-3
House sparrow-12
Goldfinch-3
Tufted titmouse-1
BC chicadee-1

Drove east on Rt. 6 and saw 6 Tundra swans fly over the road and land in
corn stubble field north of Rt. 6, about 300 feet of the highway. Stopped
at person's house and asked if I could go through the backyard and watch
them. He was happy to allow me to do so. Observed them with telescope (40
power)...whew! They're LARGE birds!
Kept driving on Rt. 6 and toured Pickerel Creek WL Area. Saw:
Song Sparrows-4
Adult Bald eagles gliding high over marsh-2
Canada Goose-106
RT hawk-1

Drove to White's Landing, but bay still frozen over. Men were ice fishing
offshore. The eagle nest at White's Landing was unoccupied.

Drove to Willow Creek WL Area:
RT hawk-2
Horned lark-3

Drove to Castalia Duck pond and saw:
Canada goose-120
Mute swan-2
Gadwall-12
Am. Widgeon-59
Am. Black Duck-4
Mallard-71
Northern Shoveler-68
Green-winged teal-2
Canvasback-14
Redhead-56
Ring-necked Duck-19
Lesser scaup-25
Bufflehead-5
Common goldeneye-9
Am. Coot-16

Left Castalia and drove back to Fremont. Upon leaving, saw:
Tundra swan-14 flew over Rt. 6, heading north and landed in corn stublle
field north of Castalia.

Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)Use what talents you possess: the woods
would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.