OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Rick Asamoto <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 17:16:22 -0500
As noted by Dave Collopy the gravel pit near Spring Valley WA has hundreds
of ducks
and geese. Today just before noon I saw 5 Greater White-fronted Geese among
the hundreds
of Canada geese. Among the variety of ducks there was a female White-winged
Scoter.
I could not locate the Cackling goose that Dave reported but many of the
geese were partially
obscurred.

After lunch I was joined by Shane Egleston. There were many fewer geese
present and we
could not find the White-fronted geese. After scanning the ducks and geese
for a while, 2-300
geese flew in. We then located the 5 White-fronted geese again. Shane then
located one Cackling
goose walking around by itself. A few minutes later Shane located 2 more
small geese with
their heads tucked. After several minutes they finally raised their heads
and we could see
the short bill and steeply angled forehead.

Canada geese 600
Greater White-fronted geese 5
Cackling geese 3
White-winged scoter 1
Mallard 200
Redhead 12
Black ducks 20
Ring-necked ducks 15
Canvasback 7
Gadwall 20
Lesser Scaup 3
Scaup sp. 4
Bufflehead 8
American coot 60
Pied-billed grebe 3
Ring-billed gull 20
Herring gull 2

This inactive gravel pit is on the north side of Roxanna-New Burlington road
just east of SR 42.
Rick Asamoto
Miamisburg