OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2007

From:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 13:47:41 -0500
Yesterday, my wife, Paula, and I drove to Columbus to attend the Black Swamp
Bird Observatory Annual meeting.  Along the way we stopped at Killdeer
Plains and Deer Creek State Park.  My goal was to hopefully see a pelican in
February.  I had heard that the White Pelican might still be at Deer Creek
State Park.  I didn't find it, so I assume it has departed.  However, we did
see a beautiful, breeding plumage male Long-tailed Duck in one of the three
small areas of open water.  We also observed 5 Black Vultures and a very
cold-looking Killdeer in the area.  For the trip we had 50 species and
didn't get out of the car.

Highlights:

Killdeer Plains:

Tundra Swan (40+)